Others

mandag 4. mars 2013

What is the best survival knife?

This is a question that will never truly be answered because everyone has their own opinion, but I will give you my brutal and honest opinion anyway.

First of all I would just like to say that there is no perfect survival knife, A knife will get dull, it can break, you can lose it or it might chip. So you can not trust a knife blindly and the knives you carry with you when you are outdoors or that you have in your car should be sharp, solid knives that will keep an edge for a long time and that can be sharpened easy in the field eigther by a steel or a natural stone that might be used in an emergency.

My totally honest answer would be that the best survival knife you can have is the one that is in your pocket or on your belt when you are actually in an emergency situation so having a cheap, poor knife on you because you are just going for a short walk in the woods will have to do since you do not have any choice. That is why I always have a razor sharp quality knife with me at all times when I'm in the wild instead of carrying cheapo knives from time to time. You never know what might happen.

Then to actually specify what type of knife that is ideal seen from my point of view.
A knife is an extremely effective tool that can be used for a lot of different uses and to do all of these good it needs to fulfill some requirements. These are sharpness, robustness, thickness, ability to retain a sharp edge, a comfortable handle that fits your hand and a good secure sheath and ease of sharpening. I prefer a knife with about a 4-5'' blade as this is less prone to break since you won't have to much leverage. I also prefer scandi or flat grinds for edge retention and ease of sharpening.
So my recommended knives are: Any of the Helle knives , Ontario RAT 3, handmade bushcraft knives, Mora knives, Condor Bushlore and Fallkniven F1!

1 kommentar:

  1. Har du testet Cold Steel SRK eller Esee 6? Kunne du skrevet noen ord om Fällkniven F1?

    SvarSlett